Monday, February 8, 2010


Dear Dad,

I think I am pretty lucky to have you for a dad.  You have been my rock, my core, and my example in so many ways.  I do not know another with as much integrity as you.  You have taught with love and understanding.

 I appreciate that you knew us and admired us kids as individuals, allowing us to discover for ourselves our interests, talents, and joys.
I love that in our family we all had a voice and were listened to and respected-- even if you did not agree.  You still listened.

I am sure it freaks mom out at times, but I love that you are following your dreams.  You have a gift that I hope one day the world can share what we as your children have been enjoying every day of our lives.

I miss waking up on Sunday morning to you pounding the keys on the piano.  tear.  What a peaceful way it was to wake up.  If I think for a second I can still hear the music playing in my head.

And I miss skipping Sunday School with you as we journeyed across town to the gas station that had the best mix of Diet Coke, to fill up your 44 oz cup.  I love how you are friends with every worker at every gas station in town.  And I love how it is important to you to become their friend because they are people too.

You are my hero.  Happy belated birthday!

I love you,
 Kari

1 comment:

  1. I'll add my tears to yours. Beautifully said. I love working here and listening to dad play a new or existing song on the piano as he takes a break from writing. I'm glad that has been a happy memory for you. I love how well you're able to express yourself. You're a great mom and a great person and I love to see you evolve and mature.

    ReplyDelete